All my friends are talking about leaving, about leaving...

Maybe it's because I keep listening to a couple songs by the band the Head and the Heart (the lyrics of "Rivers and Roads" and "Ghosts" combine to reflect my current mantra) or maybe it's because every week there's a goodbye party for someone else. It feels like all of our friends are getting ready to leave.

Ok, not all of our friends by any stretch, but some key friends, and obviously people who have been here from the start of our time in Shenyang. Yes, it's only been 6 months but rhythms were established quickly and people who define my idea of our community here are heading out over the next few months. This is our first "summer transfer season" in the Foreign Service, and I don't think I like it.

It's not just consulate people leaving either. Half the women in my painting class move home to the states before the end of this month. Thankfully friends from our informal American church fellowship group are only home for the summer months and plan to return to Shenyang in the fall.

The frequent comings and goings in expat subcultures around the world seem to swing on the hinges of the summer moving months. The majority of FSO positions turn over during the summer months to accomodate families with school-aged children. Those in the community involved in education are between academic years as well so many of them are leaving too.

I've always considered myself particularly resilient when it comes to change, but usually it's me moving or transitioning. I'm not used to be left behind. Typically it's me doing the leaving.

And all of this right when Shenyang has become terribly familiar for us. Just as we're settled and stable. June has been full of "normal"- picnics and dinner groups and just life on life.

Last night was the farewell party for our CG (Consul General) and his wife. After three years in Shenyang, I know they'll be missed in this community. Many attribute the current high level of morale at post in Shenyang to their leadership. I'm sad that I didn't get more time with them but sure that our paths will cross again some day.

I was enlisted to cater for the party and truly enjoyed it. Dreaming up a menu that was 1-kinda fancy and fun food but still simple, 2-finger foods not requiring utensils, 3-locally sourced ingredients that didn't make me criss-cross the city to procure them was exciting.

The execution involved a LOT of washing and chopping. I opted for fruit kabobs and a veggie tray because I knew they'd be visually appealing, diverse and easy to procure (just a big trip to nanshichang!). Unfortunately Chinese people don't really eat much raw produce and so I had to be OCD about cleaning them. I made up a veggie dip from mayo, whipping cream, vinegar, dill, grated onion, and paprika. I found a super simple (5 ingredients!) mini-cheesecake receipe and topped them with my favorite raspberry & blueberry jams from our German  version of Costco, Metro. I toasted sliced french bread and made balsamic radish, spinach, & cream cheese crostinis.

The pièce de résistance was absolutely the platter of bacon-wrapped dates. I actually have never eaten a date before, but I kept seeing recipes for them and little cart vendors around town selling them. As it turns out Chinese dates are a different fruit than the popular middle eastern dates usually used in these recipes (oops!), but wrapping anything in bacon is a surefire success, and everyone raved about them.

I think one thing I really love about living overseas is the challenge to create excellent food and a memorable atmosphere. Even the simplest things are complicated here, and it's a bit of an art to know what to spend your time and energy on that's really going to pay off. Things that would be commonplace in Atlanta, Georgia are greatly appreciated in Shenyang which is why a lot of our socializing here revolves around cooking and ultimately eating.

More than anything I just wanted the night to feel special. Saying goodbye is important and while we have to do it over and over again that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it well. The food might have contributed to that, but I think the people who shared their memories of the CG (in quite comedic lyrical form no less) and his adorable wife were what will really be remembered.

There are more goodbyes on the horizon which, I have no doubt, we will mark with more incredible parties. I've been told I'll get used to it- people departing just after they've become your friends, but I'm not sure I want to. Right now, I'm still not accepting this as reality and the norm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go again

Had myself a Ferris Wheel ride today

Letters/68