we made it!

After bidding adieu to all of our possessions (uh, not to mention incredible friends), R having a minor run in with a stinging insect of some kind, eating our way thru Atlanta, hopping between 4 hotels and driving about 650 miles... we made it to falls church, virginia!
We really didn't lift a finger on moving day- the movers did everything!


Moving day was actually very low-key.  I stressed out a lot the day before hoping we'd organized everything well enough, but the movers were great and I fully trust we'll see our belongings again some day.

chocolate chess pie with mint ice cream for dessert.  PS- I want those dishes!
We concluded the day checking into the Marriott Marquis- a gift from my incredible team as a going-away/appreciation gift.  Incredible views from the 37th floor! We ate dinner at Abattoir a yummy Westside Atlanta (how fitting!) chophouse before dropping off my old civic with a friend's sister.  We are now a 1-car family!
We will so miss this skyline!

Thursday we gave our keys to our rental house back to the realtor and learned that a great couple from our church is renting it starting in a week.  This is incredible because it means we won't have to pay for rent when we're not there! We rushed from our (former) house over to the urgent care clinic because R was stung by something that made his foot swell up 3x it's normal size Tuesday night and it was starting to look really bad.  The doctor was super helpful- gave him a cortisone shot, prescribed antibiotics & steroids to keep the swelling down.

From there we went to a lazy brunch at West Egg one of our favorites (also on the westside).  We ate a hardy breakfast before heading to the Mandarin Oriental for a day spa pass.  Such a great value for use of their tranquil facilities.  Perfect way to celebrate our anniversary and take time to reflect on this transition after the chaos of moving out the day before.

Duke Chapel on Friday night
We stayed Friday night in lovely Durham, NC and had a delightful dinner with old friends which was a much-needed distraction to this impending transition.  Today we pulled into Oakwood Falls Church at 3:30pm on the dot.  Thankfully we weren't 5 minutes later because an intense squall hit just after we checked in and found our new apartment.
Adequate kitchen- feels more like our own now that it's stocked.
Honestly the apartment is great.  I think my first response was that I wanted to go back to our little bungalow in Atlanta but that's probably normal.  R and I quickly listed off 10 things we like about the apartment and I know the more we settle in the more it will feel like home.  I'm sharing pictures as they've already been requested. :)
Standing in dining area looking into den.  Balcony beyond.

After the storm died down we braved a trip to Panera & Trader Joe's.  I say braved because R had to navigate through an intersection called "7 corners" without it's traffic signals working (they were knocked out by the storm).  Needless to say we made some wrong turns, but I'm just glad we got out of the apartment.  The pantry is stocked.
bedroom is a decent size with a walk-in closet & bathroom attached.  
Side note: I am not sure how people don't just let their brain's go to mush with as many TV channels as we have! It's great since football season is just beginning but I'm afraid there are going to be many games I'd rather not watch this season for my Gators.  Oh well, HGTV stands ready.

Tomorrow we plan to try out a church in Arlington and attend R's welcome party.  The 167th A-100 (foreign service officer's training) class is hosting R's class the 169th.  Excited to meet some of these people!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had myself a Ferris Wheel ride today

Here we go again

Letters/68