contentment in each season

This is about the time of year that I am ready for winter to fade out and for spring to burst in. There's always so much to look forward to about the changing seasons. The days are finally not so short. I don't find myself switching the porch light on before R pulls in the driveway from work. We can't quite go for a jog after he's home and make it back before dark though. While I'm a little tired of my favorite cozy comfy fleece pants, part of me is trying to relish not sweating when I go outside for just a bit longer. I try to remember how delicious chai tea is in the winter and how simple scarves make my wardrobe choices oh-so-much-easier for me.
Because seasons do change and soon enough the humidity will spike and I'll be wishing it was cool again. We'll be covered in either bug spray or mosquito bites and there will be no reason to make smores over the gas fireplace.
For some reason this feels like a metaphor for our life right now. There are big changes on the horizon and there's no telling how soon they will sweep this sweet refreshing season out like winter. Even though elements of life feel monotonous, wishing them away will only result in looking back longly in months to come. So I'm trying to recognize the small delights I take for granted. I'm asking the Lord to reveal blessing and taking comfort in the promise that he will continue to bless as the seasons change, if in different ways that I might not have guessed. How do you cultivate contentment as the seasons of life weather on? Do you tend to look towards the next thing, like me? What keeps you focused on today's good?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whale Sharks, the Big Friendly Giants

Letters/23

"Masterchef " Finalist Tracy Nailor's Haute Dishes