Winter Reads

I hear there's a nasty ice/snow system criss-crossing North America. While winter is melting away here in Shenyang I thought I'd give you an update on all those books I've been reading in case you're hunkered down for the weekend.

Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
If you need to laugh out loud (as I did four weeks ago sick in the dead of winter) please read this book. I'm pretty sure it is an all-time favorite for me. Maria Semple was a writer on the popular tv show Arrested Development, but in this new novel writes of a typically dysfunctional family in Seattle. She pokes fun at helicopter parents, Seattleites, and microsoft, all while discussing creative genius, keeping you laughing out loud and engaged to the end. It's hard to put into words how great this book is so quit reading my review and just go read it.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
This was a prime example why I love book clubs (have I mentioned we have a little consulate book club here? it really does my soul good to be a part of a book club). I would not have read this book on my own. The descriptions of: "thriller", "murder mystery" and how "marriage can be a real killer" do not appeal to me and yet, I so enjoyed reading this book. Gillian Flynn's novel centers on the circumstances of a 30-something year old woman who goes missing on her 5-year wedding anniversary. The story is told from alternating points of view between her husband and her diary. It is terribly frustrating, but well-written. Graphic at points with some language, but overall good suspense that keeps you guessing until the end.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me by Mindy Kaling

Have you seen the Mindy Project? (I watch it DVRed on our slingbox or on hulu on our VPN) It's not just Kelly Kapoor from the Office continued (although BJ Novak did play a love interest on the most recent episodes). I have laughed out loud at this new comedy and after following Mindy Kaling on twitter (writer, actress, producer from the Office and now the Mindy Project) and reading her book, I can honestly say I want to be friends with her!  If you are a woman (particularly single but obviously not necessarily so) between the ages of 20 and 40 there's a good chance you'll enjoy this book. Most of the content consists of her quips on growing up as a child of immigrants in the 80s and how she eventually made it big in comedy. If you are a fan of Clueless, Mean Girls, Nanny Diaries (the book not the movie), the Mindy Project (duh), this book is probably for you. If not, you're probably above it, but I laughed out loud numerous times.

A Praying Life by Paul Miller

So this begins my book recommendations that I actually read last summer but never wrote up. I loved this book so I wanted to mention it. Paul Miller is a pastor and father to an autistic daughter. He is authentic and real and approaches his relationship with the Lord honestly. This book called me out on making prayer some sort of ritual and encouraged me to just relate to God from where I'm at. He discusses our bent towards cynicism and how that can stand in the way of asking our father for things we feel we need without fear of disappointment. Unlike most books on prayer, he does not guilt you into praying or tell you to buckle down and just pray more. It's practical and helpful and by the end I truly wanted to pray more not because I should but because I wanted to. It was a very refreshing and life-giving read.

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Oh Tina Fey, why do good things have to come to an end? I read her memoir last July and now it hurts that much more that 30 Rock has ended. Her memoir is funny (I guess I like humor in my reading, can you tell?) although it comes off slightly preachy at points if I remember correctly. I didn't mind that she had an agenda, I just wasn't expecting it. I read several chapters aloud to R because he's such a big 30 Rock fan and there are lots of stories of how some skit came together or the time that so-and-so appeared as a guest on SNL with her. Easy, fun read.

The Expats by Chris Pavone

It's almost been a year since I read this but it was a really fun read so I thought I'd mention it. You might guess from the title, it's a book about a married couple that moves overseas. There's intrigue and mystery, and they live in and travel to really cool places (mostly western europe). It makes the expat lifestyle much more glamorous than it is here in Shenyang and yet Pavone does a good job at touching on some of the more mundane aspects of being a trailing spouse in the midst of such a seemingly exotic life.

I have started a number of books but haven't finished them so they'll get honorable mention and if I finish them I'll review them next time. They are: The Shoemaker's Wife, Savage Beauty: The Life of Edna St Vincent Millay , When Helping Hurts, and Emotionally Healthy Spirituality.

I always welcome recommendations so please leave a comment as to what you're reading or what you'd recommend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whale Sharks, the Big Friendly Giants

Letters/23

"Masterchef " Finalist Tracy Nailor's Haute Dishes