Well, I made it back from Chengdu. I'll have another post or two about my two weeks there but I couldn't pass up a chance to mention all the baby pandas being born all over the world!
 |
| chengdu panda statues! |
A few weeks ago, I was so excited to hear that our very own Zoo Atlanta was surprised with panda TWINS. They're about a month old and the panda cam is SO fun to watch these days:
http://www.zooatlanta.org/home/panda_cam. Ok, truthfully, pandas DO sleep a lot of the time but now it looks like a panda and it's mini-stuffed animal panda cuddled up together.
Then this past weekend, I heard that Mei Xiang at the National Zoo in D.C. had a panda cub again herself. If you remember last year
Mei Xiang had a baby panda but 6 days after birth he died of lung & liver problems. This article made me laugh talking about the possibility of panda mamas faking pregnancies (drama queens) and the fact that they aren't sure who the father of Mei Xiang's cub is:
http://www.today.com/pets/baby-giant-panda-cub-born-national-zoo-8C10990504. I'm ecstatic that Mei Xiang has a new cub, but sad to hear she gave birth to a second still-born cub late Saturday night. Poor mama Mei Xiang, she has been through it all. Who would have guessed panda baby season would have so many ups & downs.
Meanwhile we were in the panda capital of the world. I mean, last year ALONE they had seven baby pandas born at the Chengdu Panda Breeding & Research Base. You can pay about $165 and hold one of the babies if you're so inclined. I love that they named one of them Oreo.
 |
| a young couple oohs and awes over many stuffed pandas... |
 |
| the panda OUTLET! |
We didn't go back to the panda research base (we've each been at least twice), but we still got our fill of pandas around town. I may or may not have heard a couple panda inseminators were at the US Consulate recently- talk about an interesting visa interview. As for me, I just took in all of the panda paraphernalia that litters Chengdu. From the typical kitschy hats and keychains to creepy crocheted bride and groom pandas.

I think the pandas are the first draw foreign tourists have to Chengdu but it's a great Chinese city that really offers so much more. If you're considering a visit, I'd highly recommend it and be sure to see all of the pandas!
Hope you have a great start to your week- it's my first work week in almost a year. Wish me luck!
Comments
Post a Comment