battling sinus infections, pollution & self pity...

One thing I would definitely do differently when packing for our next tour would be to take all the cold/flu medication I can with me on the plane. Unfortunately for us, I put the costco-procured bulk size medication in our consumables which are still months away from delivery. I packed a limited amount of meds in our checked luggage, but am about to run out after being sick myself twice now in the 3 weeks since we arrived and R having been sick this past weekend as well.

It is no surprise that upon moving to a new place with new germs and lower public hygiene standards in the middle of winter, we've picked up a few bugs. That and there's always the insane level of pollution messing with our respiratory systems (this last week has been particularly bad- 701 on the air quality index as of this posting according to: http://www.aqicn.info/?city=Shenyang). Really the pollution applies more to R as he prefers walking the 1.5 miles to the consulate each day. Somehow we ended up on the side of our apartment building that has no smokestacks in view (yay!), but there are at least 4 quite near our building from which plumes of smoke stream out of daily.

Getting sick (typical cold/sinus infection type symptoms) has made engaging with Shenyang quite a bit more challenging. It's hard to want to bundle up and go outside in 5 degree F weather when you need to blow your nose every 3 minutes or when you've got a mild fever and you've already got the chills INside.

So I've been trying to keep occupied indoors. I'm super thankful for my Kindle. I would recommend that anyone living abroad invest in an e-reader. Even when the internet is iffy, there's enough of a wifi signal or 3G to download a new novel and that provides hours of entertainment. (readers can look forward to book reviews soon).

Our unaccompanied air baggage is still not here (it's been 4 weeks since we said goodbye to it in Virginia although the company said it'd arrive within 18 days...) which means no sharp knives or even a decent sized pot, so the few meals I've attempted have been quite labor intensive relative to cooking in the US. I know I'm just spoiled, and the fact that my favorite cast iron skillet (wedding gift from a generous aunt!) is on it's way is in itself more than I could dream of last time I was in China. It's still an adjustment.

I think the greatest trial (if you can consider not having a cast iron skillet on hand a trial?) in this transition is to not give in to self pity. On the surface this adventure seems quite glamorous, and I've had a few: "how did we go from Atlanta to this is just six months?!" moments since we arrived. However anyone who has been sick overseas can tell you when you're unable to enjoy the adventure, being miles from home is the last thing you want.

Anyways, this sounds like a pity party and I do want to keep from feeling sorry for myself. I just want to be honest on this blog that there are hardships and trade-offs on this journey and it's not all exotic diversions. My (incredible) mom is sending more cold/flu meds to us that will get here way before our consumables do. I am hopeful that I'll get better before the 3-day weekend (yay MLK day!) and have something a little more upbeat to share with you soon.

Thanks for reading and thanks for all those who have mentioned how they enjoy reading- it is super encouraging to me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go again

Had myself a Ferris Wheel ride today

Letters/68