It's tempting after 6 weeks...
to just give you the itinerary of my comings and goings. It's always a challenge to know how to start back in on the blog when so much has happened big and small that I haven't shared. What's more, I'm looking at a couple months with more time in the weekly schedule to post but possibly less (events) to post about. I do want to share some of the pictures I've taken over the last 2 months since my Easter post, but I figure writing about something I've been working through could be more necessary for my heart too. I'd like for sharing the things I'm sorting through to be more characteristic of this blog, so here goes:
It seems the last 2 months I've been considering what a tender heart looks like. I've seen some instances of brokenness in our world that have been hard to face, and I've felt a bit lost because of them. Whether tracing over my own story as I share it with others or walking alongside women who have been affected by the pain & brokenness of life in ways that just are not fair, I've had to really turn over what it means to have a tender heart.
I think a tender heart "rejoices with those who rejoice and weeps with those who weep," and this has typically come easily to me. Empathy is one of my strengths and it's a challenge for me to not put myself in the shoes of others. What results when I am moved by the intense circumstances others face is what I've been challenged to consider.
Oftentimes my heart hardens, not against the people involved, but towards the Lord. I think to some extent I've begun to doubt the power of the gospel to change these circumstances, to make a difference in these lives and even in my own life.
Gary Runn spoke at our Southeast regional Cru staff retreat at the end of April (which was by far the most restful part of the last 2 months) and described a hardened heart, a distant heart and a humbled heart. Our hearts harden when we let our circumstances overwhelm our view of God and fear takes root. Our hearts grow distant when we start to determine our worthiness on anything other than Christ's work on the cross. We grow critical of others and far from the Lord. Most of us (me for certain) toggle between the two- afraid, we focus on what's happening to us or proud, we criticize others.
I am desperate for the gospel that saved me from myself 11 years ago to continue in that work. I need above all to trust in a God who is both near & personal as well as able to change me and others. I hope to share more of how the Lord's impressing these things on me in the coming weeks.
It seems the last 2 months I've been considering what a tender heart looks like. I've seen some instances of brokenness in our world that have been hard to face, and I've felt a bit lost because of them. Whether tracing over my own story as I share it with others or walking alongside women who have been affected by the pain & brokenness of life in ways that just are not fair, I've had to really turn over what it means to have a tender heart.
I think a tender heart "rejoices with those who rejoice and weeps with those who weep," and this has typically come easily to me. Empathy is one of my strengths and it's a challenge for me to not put myself in the shoes of others. What results when I am moved by the intense circumstances others face is what I've been challenged to consider.
Oftentimes my heart hardens, not against the people involved, but towards the Lord. I think to some extent I've begun to doubt the power of the gospel to change these circumstances, to make a difference in these lives and even in my own life.
Gary Runn spoke at our Southeast regional Cru staff retreat at the end of April (which was by far the most restful part of the last 2 months) and described a hardened heart, a distant heart and a humbled heart. Our hearts harden when we let our circumstances overwhelm our view of God and fear takes root. Our hearts grow distant when we start to determine our worthiness on anything other than Christ's work on the cross. We grow critical of others and far from the Lord. Most of us (me for certain) toggle between the two- afraid, we focus on what's happening to us or proud, we criticize others.
I am desperate for the gospel that saved me from myself 11 years ago to continue in that work. I need above all to trust in a God who is both near & personal as well as able to change me and others. I hope to share more of how the Lord's impressing these things on me in the coming weeks.
Comments
Post a Comment