bracketology- thoughts about march madness

Until I dated a varsity (high school that is) basketball player, I had little interest in the sport of basketball. I remember my first Florida basketball game in Gainesville hosting the Auburn Tigers. Steve (Spurrier) was in his 2nd-to-last season and Billy Donovan had just begun to make a name for himself in the Southeast. Florida was still just "a football school" in the spring of 2000, but not for long. With the pending arrival of Ron Zook, basketball stood a chance to gain an audience.

I had been in the Swamp for Gator football and the environment was incredible- the O'dome offered something quite different, yet quite wonderful. The electricity that mounted during such a fast-paced game was contagious. I screamed my heart out, and lost my voice in the rowdy reptiles section. It was a BLOW OUT- 88-59. The gators would go on to lose to Auburn in the SEC tournament, but then after a buzzer beater finger-roll by Mike Miller against Butler, march all the way to the national championship against Michigan State.

My fate was decided at that first basketball game. I was still visiting colleges, but for better or worse, I was enchanted by the Gators basketball and football and unable to resist a full-ride scholarship. I would go on to camp out in front of the O'Connel center for front row tickets to Kentucky games and even watch Florida conquer Ohio State in their 2nd National Title game in as many years in person in Atlanta. March took on new meaning.

Now that I've gotten some background out of the way, you can decide for yourself if I'm just another girl who fills out a bracket based on team colors or mascots. I really get annoyed when people complain about their brackets during a tournament where amazing upsets are taking place and great games are being played. Sure, a bracket is fun and gives you a vested interest when your team doesn't make the tournament or loses in the first round, but don't miss the great basketball for personal pride. I would much rather be wrong and have a fun tournament like 2012's than win the office bracket competition- it's just not the point!

So please enjoy March. Cheer on the Gators if they make it past tomorrow's game (you'd better cheer on Norfolk State if they don't!). By all means, don't whine about your bracket when Lehigh makes it to the next round- I'll guarantee 95% of America didn't have Duke losing and those who did just flat out hate duke. Side note: my sister actually chose Lehigh- I taught her everything she knows which is why she may or may not have Florida State- her alma mater- in the final four. Go gata!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had myself a Ferris Wheel ride today

Here we go again

Letters/68