football- finally!

Leaving the country for 3 football seasons changed me. I have laughed a couple times this fall when former roommates/teammates from my team in Athens have expressed concern for R in the context of my Florida fandom. I chuckle because living in Asia surrounded by literally millions of people who have no idea what's happening at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium tonight tempered my enthusiasm in a healthy way. Getting up every weekend at 3am to watch the games just was NOT healthy or in my best interest and so I let go of being the ultimate member of the Gator nation. ;)

Coming back and making the transition back to the States has been a process and one of the slowest parts has been my love for Gator football coming back to a degree. You see R & I were married the day after the first game of the 2010 season. After honeymooning and moving, we lived out the Fall without a TV. I listened to a few games on the Gainesville AM sports radio iPhone App but I can only think of a couple games we actually watched. I felt quite disconnected to football in general and last season seems like it went by in a haze. (Turns out there wasn't much to watch as far as Florida football went last season so it works out).

Thankfully, this season started off in the Swamp for our anniversary! R went to his first game and he loves wearing his Gators shirt. We are thankful to have a TV and while we don't have cable, we get HD broadcast channels over an antenna for FREE! We have watched several college football games and the month of October promises 3 Florida games on CBS- one of our 6 channels! I don't anticipate tonight's game to be pretty- it will be a miracle if the Gators pull out a W against Alabama, but I'll be happy just to sit cozied up on a Fall night with friends and a bowl of chili doing the chomp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had myself a Ferris Wheel ride today

Here we go again

Letters/68