and then... I got a job...

That's right, and you thought I was just making an awful attempt at being a full-time blogger, didn't you?

No as it turns out I've been waiting for the perfect job at the consulate and for all of the wheels to turn, turn, turn... I am now the Human Resources Assistant at the US Consulate in Shenyang! It only took 8 months after arriving at post to start my job but that's considerably less time than it took R to join the foreign service so I can't say I'm at all surprised.

If you haven't noticed, I like context and details so I'll share a little bit about the step by step process assuming that at some point some EFM (eligible family member- technical term for spouses/kids in the state department) will be keeping warm in a high rise apartment listlessly wondering if or when he/she might get a job and trolling the internet in search of hope!

When we were assigned to Shenyang in October we started getting emails from the CLO (community liaison office) about job openings. At that point, only 2 months removed from moving to DC and starting A100, I still wasn't sure if working full time or part time or at all was for me and so I decided not to apply for anything but to give myself time to figure things out once we actually moved here.

While we were in DC, I did all that I knew to to make myself eligible for any possible job openings by taking Con-gen, the consular officers' 6 week training course. Because people all over the world want to come to America, there's typically a few openings at consulates and embassies for spouses to work in this department. I'm glad I took this class for two reasons. First, it kept me busy last November & December in DC and keeping busy is good for me. Second, I understand much better than I would have otherwise what R does every day. When we have coworkers from his section over I know what they're talking about and can ask intelligent questions. I have great respect for them, it's a difficult job.

I also took the mandarin exam in December, but didn't score well enough to qualify to do visa interviews. This was thanks in part to nerves and being super out of practice- I have to think I would do better now, but I've no interest in finding out.

When we got to post I found out there would be 2 jobs in the consular section available soon. It wasn't until about 5 weeks later that these positions were actually posted and I could apply. I filled out my application and turned it in promptly and then 3 weeks after that I interviewed and took an English competency exam (which would only be challenging for some non-native speakers in my estimation).

One month later I found out I got the position and the following week I started my security clearance process. I was denied an interim clearance so I had to wait for the investigation to happen and some one to decide.

In June, on the same day my clearance was approved the Human Resources Assistant position was advertised. I decided, rather than start at the consular job I would apply for the HR job (I was in HR in my previous career and R wasn't so sure about us working in the same department day in and day out).

Two weeks later I interviewed. I personally thought it was a heck of an interview and a job I really would bring a lot to the table to, but at the same time would be challenging and engaging.

One week later I received an offer letter and accepted the position. I had to go back into my security clearance online info and fill in a few more details and it took several days to get that unlocked. There were a few little glitches like that along the way- waiting on Beijing or Washington or the appropriate amount of time to go by for some next small step in the process to go through.

Then I waited three what felt like very long weeks for an interim clearance which I was much more likely to get this time around since I already had one form of security clearance and just need an upgrade. As soon as that came through the question was how soon could I start? Granted I had to start when in sync with a pay period, so I'd wait at least 2 more weeks. In the end I decided to wait 4 weeks to get hiring paperwork processed and go with R to Chengdu for one last unemployed/unencumbered hurrah.

I am ever so thankful for how things worked out and excited about this opportunity. I really do value the time I've spent without the tethers of a 8:30-5:30 workday these first 8 months at post. Although at times my enthusiasm lagged, I will miss 3x/week Chinese lessons and lunch or coffee with Chinese friends from church on a whim. I'll miss spending whole afternoons at my friend's house with her kiddos purely because I didn't want to be home alone again. I'll miss painting and exploring. I'll miss going on random adventures with new Chinese friends and I'll miss my Bible study/prayer group immensely.

I plan to write a post about what I've learned through this time and how to make the most of it and not go crazy as a stay-at-home spouse (without kids in particular) should you find yourself in such a position.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whale Sharks, the Big Friendly Giants

Letters/23

"Masterchef " Finalist Tracy Nailor's Haute Dishes